When you are in the mood for a decadent dessert, look no further than the Kairos Cabernet Cake. While many people know how well Cabernet can pair with chocolate, few people could fathom the sumptuous sensations to be found when the wine finds its way into this devilishly heavenly cake’s batter. So next time you have an occasion to make something sinful for the angels in your life, give this recipe a try. You won’t be dissapoonted.
* 1 box of devil’s food cake mix
* 1 small box (6 ounce) black cherry gelatin or (3 ounce)
black cherry sugar-free gelatin
*4 eggs at room temperature
*1 cup 2007 Judd’s Hill “Kairos” Cabernet Sauvignon
*1/2 cup vegetable oil
Wine Glaze Ingredients
* 2 tablespoons room temperature butter
* 1/2 cup Judd’s Hill “Kairos” Cabernet Sauvignon
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease the Fleur De Lis Bundt pan with a nonstick cooking spray. Be sure to grease the grooves of the pan well to prevent the cake from sticking.
2. In a large mixer, beat the cake mix, gelatin, eggs, wine and oil on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium and continue to beat for 1 minute. Occasionally scrape the bowl to insure all ingredients are well mixed.
3. Slowly pour the cake batter into Fleur De Lis Bundt pan. Gently tap the cake filled bundt pan on the counter to release any air bubbles before baking. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes.
4. Remove the cake from the oven and set it aside to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully, use a plastic knife to loosen the sides of the Bundt pan and invert it onto a wire cooling rack.
5. While the cake cools, prepare a simple cabernet wine glaze. Combine the butter, wine and powdered sugar in a medium sized pan. Bring all ingredients to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Set aside to use for drizzling on individual slices of cake.
1. Garnish cake lightly with sifted powdered sugar. Clusters of red grapes (sugared, if you like) may be used as additional garnishes.
2. Cut and serve individual slices and add the warm wine glaze after slice is plated and just prior to serving. Vanilla ice cream makes a nice accompaniment.
2007 Kairos Cabernet Sauvignon (made with organic grapes)